A house is a complicated organism. Although you may have owned a home before, bear in mind that every house is different. Every house is unique and every house has its “quirks”. For first-time home buyers especially, there is a lot to know about your new home. That’s why we recommend that all our buyers attend their home inspection (using a WI registered home inspector) as an opportunity to learn as much as they can about their new-home-to-be. In addition to attending your inspection, it’s vital you study your inspection report and understand any recommendations your inspector makes regarding needed maintenance of your new home. You’ll want to make sure you also get answers to the following questions before you move into your new home:
- How many garage door remote controls are there?
- Are there any extra house keys?
- Are there any missing keys to doors that lock?
- Does anyone else have keys to the house?
- What is the code to enable/disable the security system?
- Does anyone else have the codes?
- Does anyone else have the garage door code?
- How do I access the furnace filter to change it?
- Where is the electrical panel (breaker box) located?
- From which room/closet is the attic accessed?
- Any special instructions for the thermostat?
- Is there a delivery service in place for water softener pellets?
- What day is the trash receptacle picked up? Recycling?
- Who do I contact at my HOA if there’s a problem? What is the estimated response time?
- Which company is providing the home warranty? How do I make a home warranty claim?
At Lake & City Homes Realty, your Realtor will contact a variety of sources to get you answers to these and any other important questions you have about your new home so that you can experience a smooth and enjoyable transition. Start the search for your new home now or use the form below to tell us what you're looking for!