Did you know that Anna Jarvis, the woman who lobbied so hard for Mother’s Day to become a holiday, eventually tried to have it rescinded? In fact, from the day that retail hijacked the holiday (which happened almost immediately upon its inception) until the day she died she protested it, even getting arrested a couple of times.
Sadly, like most of our holidays, retail still dictates what gifts we receive on Mother’s Day. That candy-flowers-card routine isn’t exactly what we want, but retailers have everyone thinking it is.
Well, they’re wrong. In fact, a RetailMeNot survey of a few years ago proves that what Moms want, they rarely get. So, skip the retail-inspired lists of the must-give gift this Mother’s Day and read on for some ideas about what Moms REALLY want.
A day alone
Yes, she loves you and she adores her kids. But a day without you all might be something she’s craving. Even if all she does all day is binge on Netflix movies, it’s the not having to clean, cook, answer a million questions, clean bottoms, wash faces and mediate arguments that will make her feel like a new woman.
So, be Mr. Mom for the day. This means from the time the little feet hit the floor until they’re safely tucked into bed, Mom doesn’t have to lift a finger. It also means, getting them out of sight. We’ve rounded up some Groupon deals so that you can get the kids out of the house, keep them occupied and not break the bank.
- My Escape Mission – they even have one just for kids. Get a Groupon discount here.
- Sky Zone Madison – Groupon has a discount on jump passes.
- Fast Forward Skate Center – this one comes with popcorn and soda.
- Badger Bowl – Get a discount for two games with shoe rental.
A clean house
Before embarking on this one, keep in mind that what Mom considers “clean” is probably what you consider clean, but on steroids. This means cleaning the baseboards, inside all the major appliances, floors, mirrors and, well, everything.
To get it done right, hire someone. Professional cleaners can do the job in half the time and at least twice as well as you can. If the house doesn’t need deep cleaning, consider purchasing a package of housecleaning services that she can use throughout the year.
- Eco Clean Madison – this company gets five stars from four reviewers at Yelp.com. They get kudos for their deep cleans.
- Touch of Europe – many long-time clients rave about the service.
- Green Planet Cleaning – chemical-free cleaning
- Errund – garnering four stars from 21 customers is no easy feat on Yelp.com, but Errund has done it. Most of them like the prices.
How often does Mom get a massage? A facial? We’re willing to bet it’s not very often, so let’s fix that. After all, Parenting magazine’s survey of what Moms really want lists spa services as number one on the list.
Again, we went to Yelp for recommendations of the best in town and came up with a list of two:
- Elevation – massage, facials, nails, waxing and more. They sell gift cards as well.
- William Jon Salon & Spa – offers spa services, makeup, hair and nails.
- Kneaded Relief Day Spa & Wellness – just the photos on their website have me relaxed. Got the silver award from Madison Magazine for Best Spa in Madison in 2014 and 2015.
Clean her ride
The Mom-mobile could probably use a bit of attention. You know – those crumbs in the creases of the seats, dirty smudge prints on the seat backs and all those wrappers, containers and empty bottles that collect on the floor.
Washing and cleaning Mom’s car would be great but you’ll really make her happy if you have it professionally detailed.
Happy Mother’s Day!