In yet another one of its "best of the best" lists, BusinessWeek magazine recently bestowed another honor upon the City of Madison Wisconsin, ranking it the 25th strongest economy out of all the major metropolitan areas in the United States.
Oklahoma performed well with Oklahoma City and Tulsa both landing in the top ten and Texas really cleaned up, grabbing five of the top 10 spots with San Antonio finishing #1.
Madison's government and education job base were cited as being "relatively recession-resistant" and home prices grew in Q2'09 compared to the same period a year earlier.
Read the complete article for a list of the criteria used by the Brookings Institution to determine the overall ranking.
Here is the complete list of the 40 cities with the strongest economies:
- San Antonio, TX
- Austin-Round Rock, TX
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
- Baton Rouge, LA
- Tulsa, OK
- Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA
- Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
- El Paso, TX
- Jackson, MS
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
- Columbia, SC
- Pittsburg, PA
- Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA
- Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC
- Honolulu, HI
- Rochester, NY
- Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY
- Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Madison, WI
- Albuquerque, NM
- Syracuse, NY
- Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY
- Kansas City, MO-KS
- Raleigh-Cary, NC
- Ogden-Clearfield, UT
- Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH
- New Haven-Milford, CT
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT
- Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO
- Baltimore-Towson, MD
- Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT
- Indianapolis-Carmel, IN
- Memphis, TN-MS-AR
Incidentally, not only does the city of four lakes have incredible lakefront property for sale, but we also have a surprising number of affordable starter homes. To speak to a licensed Realtor specializing in Madison WI real estate, please call Jolenta Averill, Broker|Owner of Lake & City Homes Realty at 608.230.5553 or fill in the short form below and we'll be in touch.
Hi, and welcome to our Madison real estate blog. Whether you're a consumer, journalist or Realtor, we encourage you to share your thoughts by leaving a comment. Here you'll find relevant local and national real estate information, as well as market statistics, insight, and information about a variety of neighborhoods and real estate listings. If you'd like more information about anything in particular, please use the contact form and I'll be happy to help.
Jolenta Averill, Principal
Lake & City Homes Realty